Isla Aukate
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Isla Aukate Color Comic - Defector's Refuge 3
[Image: Aukate043.png]
Poor Hector...
Yes my dear.. he’ll be fine.., after he downs a pint.
I've heard of a medical condition where a person's brain runs "too sober", and their brain only operates normally when they have a couple drinks in their system.

This would probably make a good excuse... if there were any confirmation of it outside of satire novels.

Also... that would not explain the stomach issues.
(02-12-2018, 10:04 PM)Hariman Wrote: I've heard of a medical condition where a person's brain runs "too sober", and their brain only operates normally when they have a couple drinks in their system.

This would probably make a good excuse... if there were any confirmation of it outside of satire novels.

Also... that would not explain the stomach issues.

Hector is in constant pain thanks to the fact that his body reacts very poorly to the magic keeping him alive/immortal. (he's already lived 700 years past his species' lifespan)

As a Werewolf he can no longer get Drunk. (lycanthropy regen makes it impossible to poison a werewolf with anything but wolfsbane or other specific herbs) He can however enjoy the pain-numbing effects of Alchohol so he does.

And before you ask "why not just take asprin/painkillers" Hector would rather be addicted to something that would be less-harmful longterm to his body which ironically alchohol is enough of a better alternative to be considered a long term painkilling solution.
*Nods.* I was attempting to joke with a reference to a book series, and it clearly failed.

I should have made it more clear that I was familiar with Hector's condition, and I apologize if having to give the explanation again has been a bother, and I thank you for reiterating the explanation here.

Poor Hector has it pretty rough.
I heard of a medicine that makes you "knorrk". Thats the other side of sober. Not a nice feeling too. MAybe thats what you meant, Hariman. I think its from the discworld but im not sure.
(02-13-2018, 05:51 AM)Foxenawolf Wrote: And before you ask "why not just take asprin/painkillers" Hector would rather be addicted to something that would be less-harmful longterm to his body which ironically alchohol is enough of a better alternative to be considered a long term painkilling solution.

I'm a bit curious: wouldn't his werewolf regeneration work as well on painkillers than it does on alcohol?
Michael: Knurd, the opposite of drunk, where if you drink Klatchian Coffee (which makes you Knurd), you get massively drunk BEFORE you start drinking said coffee to deal with the sobriety it brings. ;D

Tamara: Hmm. Given that regular painkillers like Ibuprophen can cause ulcers and other issues, medicinal side effects are likely much worse than alcoholism and its side effects. Also, given that Hector's body is rejecting that it is alive at all, providing constant pain, it's most likely that only narcotic painkillers are the only medicines that work.

So... having to constantly be high on various narcotics and highly addictive painkillers would likely cause more damage in the long run than the strongest of alcoholic drinks. Or the strongest of alcoholism.

Short version: Cheers, Hector! It's better than the alternative.

And now I want someone to give Hector a hug, and tell him it will all be okay.
His werewolf regen doesn’t extend to transplanted organs which his liver is. And was put there before he became a werewolf. Secondly aspirin and painkillers have side effects and can’t be used in conjunction with alcohol which hector also drinks because he it’s one of the few things he enjoys, heavier drugs addle the mind in other ways. Basically most of what Harriman mentioned applies. Alchohol is not only the best choice but it’s the least regulated no matter where hector went. He’s only been on the islands since the 40s while I’m sure he did dabble in opiates when they were less regulated alchohol has proven to be a constant. He also was a supplier during prohibition intentionally learning how to make his own so he’d never be without. There’s a lot of factors in play but it still boils down to alchohol is the best choice wether you agree with that or don’t isn’t really hectors concern.