Isla Aukate
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why don't humans leave? Why can't I have a car? (Answers, not questions)
Two questions that come up a lot are as follows:

Why don't the humans on Aukate escape to the mainland or elsewhere?

And

Why can't I have a car/plane/train?

So allow me to explain these two things.

First, why don't the humans leave?  Interesting factoid about the humans on Aukate.  They can very easily live to be two centuries old, some even make it to three centuries.  But the longer they are away from Aukate the faster they age.  A human who is away from Aukate for more than a couple of months will be lucky if they live to see their 50th birthday.  The magic field that shields the island and nudges it in small and subtle little ways also makes the human population very healthy and long lived.  But any human that goes AWOL will be permanently exiled and not allowed to return.  This is a well known fact and one that has been put to the test.  And most of the humans would prefer to live long lives in financial comfort rather than go out into a world where they might live for another decade or so with people thinking they're insane.

Next, why no cars?  The answer is twofold.  Firstly Overlord Rex forbade them and she was beloved enough that people were willing to stick to that.  But the second answer half is the big one.  The Chimenticores.

The Chimenticores are the backbone of most of the islands.  They deliver mail, carry garbage, transport people, and carry cargo through every single island.  They also know that if cars and planes were to become prevalent then they would be out of jobs very quickly.  So if they hear about someone building a motorized vehicle they will start to boycott service to the person and sometimes the person's town until they are encouraged to stop.  There have been instances of houses being ransacked and vehicle prototypes being smashed because the chimenticores refused to deliver mail, food, and carry out garbage.  The chimenticores will not tolerate anything that could cost them their livelihood and control enough of the game to make sure that rule is never broken.

The only way around this is to pay the chimenticores off, which means only the extremely wealthy can afford vehicles and the few that exist and are in use are tightly monitored by the chimenticores.  They refer to these payments as 'permits' and demand a yearly fee that costs as much as the vehicle itself.
So Chimenticores are a strong economical empire inside Aukate! That's interesting to know. I wonder now, how big can a Chimenticore grow if they can even transport people? (Or how strong they can get)
Now, I have a picture in mind of a Chimenticore as big as the massive hawks summoned by Gandalf in LOTR... Scary...
(12-05-2015, 10:34 PM)TheSphinx Wrote: So Chimenticores are a strong economical empire inside Aukate! That's interesting to know. I wonder now, how big can a Chimenticore grow if they can even transport people? (Or how strong they can get)

Well, by 'transport' I mean they pull carts around. In some cases they even pull a sort of underground tram system. some are big enough to airlift some of the smaller species. But that's a little bit of a rarity.

As an example in the comic, this cart is being pulled by chimenticores: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/15179665/
Ah, ok! I too was imagining some huge scary chimenticore swooping through the skies XD
They are about as big as large ponies, or perhaps more appropriately, Donkey-sized. The Octavids (eight limbs two sets of wings and two arms and legs) Which are also the leaders of an aviary can be properly horse-sized but their increased size shortens their lifespan considerably. While most chimenticores live for 100-150 years of age naturally. Octavids barely make it to 80 if they're lucky. Leadership comes at a price.
As a side note, Mark M'Rega (Tigermark) was able to build gliders (mostly like hang gliders) in his youth on Peeperaure because a) They were unpowered, and b) he was the only one crazy enough to try them at the time, so he was considered by the chimenticores as a novelty. If he had ever tried to make a commercial service of any type using them, they'd have likely ripped him out of the sky. TM still doesn't care a great deal for them because of their attitude, but he deals with the system as it is. Also c) His family was in the higher social circles of the island, so he was given a bit of leeway. (Is this okay, Fox?)
All Hail the Overlord!
Probably not incredibly high, the psycho purists will count black stripes against you. The romanorens and naturally white critters are near the top. snow leopards and white tigers probably have status but not nearly as much as purer whites. Maybe 3-4 rungs down in the Caste system but still well above animals with much less white fur on their bodies.
(12-07-2015, 12:12 AM)Foxenawolf Wrote: Probably not incredibly high, the psycho purists will count black stripes against you. The romanorens and naturally white critters are near the top. snow leopards and white tigers probably have status but not nearly as much as purer whites. Maybe 3-4 rungs down in the Caste system but still well above animals with much less white fur on their bodies.

Okay, a and b but not probably c.
All Hail the Overlord!
Hmmm one question Fox or Artemis does a school for magic exist on one of the islands
As you told the people take magic as something that exists and there are even some magical beings on the islands ( mostly unknown I presume)
but what if a child/cub shows magic abilities is there a school or something similar who test and teach them the basics
and just to be clear I don´t think something big like Hogwards more like one or two classes of kids