Isla Aukate
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you ever have questions
(06-24-2016, 07:55 PM)Foxenawolf Wrote: No there isn't. "Magic" Is used by demons/ demon descendants. and some mythicals. All of which are either taught by thier parents  or, if not taught usually lose their abilities. The only exception to this is Fenriria who as we've hinted at before didn't originally come from earth to begin with so her magic follows different rules.

Thank you
I just thought about this, is crossbreeding possible? Like, could a Fox and a deer mate and have children for example? If so how does that work? What traits are inherited and so on? Sorry if it is an inappropriate question.
"What would you do for a better world?"
The way crossbreeding works is that A and B need to have compatible "parts" (mammals can only really breed with mammals, marsupials and placentals can mate with each other but depending on the resultant offspring and the species of the mother, Marsupial or mammal, there is a higher risk of miscarriage.) The way the resultant offspring works is that they will either be the speices of the mother, the species of the father, or a species that has occurred sometime in their genetic lineage. Fox for example, her mother was a cat, her father was a dog. Somewhere in both of their genetic history were fox genes and such, she came out a Fox.

If two species can't create hybrids IRL, they can't create them here. A lion and a Tiger can create a liger, but the odds that it will come with the same issues of genetic traits real ligers to, is rather high. (gigantism, shorter lifespans etc) A Fox and a Deer will most likely either create a Fox or a deer as offspring, it will not create a hybrid. The most that will happen is that the offspring might inherit some traits of the non-dominant parent.

For example, if a Fox and a deer have a child and that child is a fox, it may get a browner coat to reflect the deer parent, and may have some dappled spots on it's back as a child. If a Wolf and a Tiger mate and the resultant child is a wolf, it might have ghostings of stripes in its fur.

Essentially any "hybridization" is only fur-deep. A fox, froma fox/deer pairing would not have antlers for example. The only ONLY exception to this is when normal animals, foxes, wolves etc. mate with Mythicals. Pegasus, dragons, unicorns etc. Pegasus are particularly prolific in sowing their wild oats (.... ha ha) and are the main reason for why quite a few species on the islands sport wings where they normally wouldn't. The viability of their flight depends on how often they exercise these muscles however and whether or not they inherited the pegasus' hollow bones. If not, they will eventually lose their ability to fly as they grow older and heavier.
(06-23-2016, 09:16 PM)Foxenawolf Wrote: It is not. I used Google translate and I'm pretty sure I did a terrible job of finding phrases that got my point across. I'll have someone I know who is versed in latin to look over it before it goes to print. In grade school here we are urged to pick a language to study, from three. German, Spanish, and French. I learned some Spainish but most of it has fallen out of my head. I can understand slightly more than I can speak. (which consists of ordering food, asking for directions, polite hellos and goodbyes and calling someone an idiot very rudely :p)

Thanks for the answer! And to be honest I don't remember much latin anymore, I'm not in the position to judge XD It's an extremely precise language... too much sometimes.

Hey, being versed in calling people names in many languages is always useful!
(06-27-2016, 09:47 AM)Foxenawolf Wrote: The way crossbreeding works is that A and B need to have compatible "parts" (mammals can only really breed with mammals, marsupials and placentals can mate with each other but depending on the resultant offspring and the species of the mother, Marsupial or mammal, there is a higher risk of miscarriage.) The way the resultant offspring works is that they will either be the speices of the mother, the species of the father, or a species that has occurred sometime in their genetic lineage.  Fox for example, her mother was a cat, her father was a dog. Somewhere in both of their genetic history were fox genes and such, she came out a Fox.

If two species can't create hybrids IRL, they can't create them here. A lion and a Tiger can create a liger, but the odds that it will come with the same issues of genetic traits real ligers to, is rather high. (gigantism, shorter lifespans etc)  A Fox and a Deer will most likely either create a Fox or a deer as offspring, it will not create a hybrid. The most that will happen is that the offspring might inherit some traits of the non-dominant parent.

For example, if a Fox and a deer have a child and that child is a fox, it may get a browner coat to reflect the deer parent, and may have some dappled spots on it's back as a child. If a Wolf and a Tiger mate and the resultant child is a wolf, it might have ghostings of stripes in its fur.

Essentially any "hybridization" is only fur-deep. A fox, froma fox/deer pairing would not have antlers for example. The only ONLY exception to this is when normal animals, foxes, wolves etc. mate with Mythicals. Pegasus, dragons, unicorns etc. Pegasus are particularly prolific in sowing their wild oats (.... ha ha) and are the main reason for why quite a few species on the islands sport wings where they normally wouldn't. The viability of their flight depends on how often they exercise these muscles however and whether or not they inherited the pegasus' hollow bones. If not, they will eventually lose their ability to fly as they grow older and heavier.

That's really cool, it will give me a lot to play with when I come up with Amos' children. Considering he married a mouse. Thank you so much for the help.
"What would you do for a better world?"
I find myself often wondering about a lot of the smaller details of the overlord's forces as a military organization. Is it based off any particular existing military? What is rank structure? Are there noncoms? Aside from the already noted rule of not modifying the uniform, what are the uniform standards? I've seen some minions in the comic wearing hats, I'm assuming they're not a required part of the uniform, but what are the rules for them? It's been said that public displays of affection are discouraged, but what are the rules on relationships between minions, are there fraternization rules?

There were a few other things, but they've slipped my mind for the moment....
Hats are not actually part of the uniform. Because the comic is in black and white there's only so much I can do to make a cameo character look like themselves in the comic. Rebel squrl, while looking recognizable were he colored, is less easy to distinguish from another Squirrel, Shawn, in black and white, hence the hat which is a trademark mostly for the character. Cannonically the hat would be off but I do make some minor concessions with the artwork especially for paid cameos. This will change in the final Colored version. Another Change that will be more noteworthy in the colored version is that unless the species itself is plantigrade all "animal" cast will be digigrade with a more "uplifited" body structure and less of a human one.

I have a rough guide for uniforms and how they work but it's desperately in need of updating. You can see its beginning phases here: https://www.furaffinity.net/view/12011891/ To give you a rough idea but bear in mind these designs are subject to change in small ways to make them more nuanced per-rank and easier to understand.

Non-combatants tend to reside in R&D and Base-ops. The former usually working exclusively in the labs and the latter having a military "bodygaurd" if they go out in the field, to protect them during foraging or for a courier job. While the lair produces enough food and such for day-to-day needs, with greenhouses, farms and livestock, some particular chefs prefer foraged and "wild caught" game for thier meals which is usually regulated to the officers, or people with allergies. In times of high-risk activity foraging activities are shut down in favor of inter-lair activities for Base-ops operatives. Foraging tends to be the "fun part" of a Base-ops job as it allows you to go outside and enjoy the outdoors and get paid for the privilege.

Fraternization: As we can see in the albeit one-sided obsession that is Code's adoration for Aileeron, Inter-minion relations are allowed. It is frowned upon however to make these relationships overtly obvious and problems with your standing in the organization will occur if you allow these relationships to interfere with your primary objective. In short. If it starts effecting your job, your Supirior officers will have a problem with it. IF you keep relationships and work separate in a professional environment, there will be no issues.

The Military structure is based on a watered down version of the United States Military. That is what I personally know best and that's what the people who I have advising me about it know best. How much of it I've borrowed hasn't been explored but as I tell people fairly often: this comic and it's world is still a work in progress so please be patient as some things are not solid and continue even now to be a bit fluid in certain aspects. Some things will be subject to change/reworking/ret-conning. Some minor, some major. I will do my best to at least keep you guys informed of the more major changes.
Thanks for all the info. When you say "uplifted" body structure, do you mean something more like...zootopia..for example where there are less modifications from the original animal's structure...basically just enough for them to comfortably walk upright, and use their front paws as hands?

Do you normally announce paid cameos on your FA? I know it was mentioned that some were announced in stream, but while I would like to join the streams on a regular basis it's not really feasible for me as I have download limits on my internet and streaming video tends to suck down the data like nobody's business.
For paid cameos sadly not normally. They're something we use to boost donations on Overlord comic days (like today.) We'll be offering cameos from the start of the stream untill they fill up. Going over the script currently there are 5 cameos that can be purchased, 2 non-speaking and 3 speaking. Not sure exactly what we're going to be asking for them yet (I need to chat with Gen). Even if you can only be there for ten minutes, you can nab one if they're avaialble.

Sorry to hear about your data-caps, I hate how that's becoming a "Thing" with service providers lately. I remember before I moved Comcast had started putting a cap on my Data which was awful considering what I was paying them, and what my job (streaming) required of my internet connection. My current service provider thankfully doesn't do that but I'm honestly disgusted with the trend lately to cap data for users.
The saddest part is that cable runs right down the nearby highway, but the cable company refuses to run it to my house, so I'm stuck with choosing between dial up, satellite, or cellular internet. Cellular is the only one that has anything nearing acceptable speed by today's standards, but they cap data.

Anywho, I'll keep in mind that the paid cameos are on saturdays, and try to pop into those streams when I'm in a position to buy one. Thank you.