Isla Aukate
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you ever have questions
This is also for the benefit of others. So I understand. I know there are some characters that have questioned where they were placed, this at least offers them an option to switch if they really want to. There's also been a few instances where people have wanted to go into X department but their skills or personality they chose for their character would fit better in Y. And Darius being the tactician that he is usually assigns people based on where he feels they're most needed. Either by the department itself or the needs of the character.
Thanks for the detailed answer, Artemis.
I'm not sure if this is where to put my question, but I was wondering about the insect natives of the islands. You've said they live mostly on March and September to work in the factories and refineries found there, and that they're run something like family businesses, should that family have several hundred members.

Are they matriarchal, like is there one "queen" per family and the rest are her children or? Is there any form of hive-mind present? Is each child raised to perform a particular job?

And that's three for this post. I noticed there's weren't any insect player characters yet, and was considering making one for when bootcamp opens again. Or maybe a human or jerboa. Point being! I'd like to hear more about the insects before making a final decision. Thank you!
(09-19-2016, 02:27 AM)Schemmer Wrote: I'm not sure if this is where to put my question, but I was wondering about the insect natives of the islands. You've said they live mostly on March and September to work in the factories and refineries found there, and that they're run something like family businesses, should that family have several hundred members.

Are they matriarchal, like is there one "queen" per family and the rest are her children or? Is there any form of hive-mind present? Is each child raised to perform a particular job?

Yay! I get to talk about the buggies!

They're more tribal, although it varies from species to species. Some, like ants or bees, are matriarchal with a queen. Some are just clans with large families. Although the 'hives' are not as big as their wild counterparts with tens of thousands of millions of members.

Many of the large matriarchal hives are the ones that control the larger factories. It isn't that the insects are stupid, but they are very meticulous and focused. In fact there are many insects who left the island to become doctors and engineers. They sometimes lack creativity and individuality though which is why those aspects are often handled by outside consultants. Many of them are raised to work at the various factories but do have a little bit of control over where and how they work. Most of them are happy to work the repetitive grunt tasks though. They aren't mindless drones though, but many of them do have fierce family loyalty.

There's plenty who go elsewhere enough for work. Insects are slightly rare but not a crazy weird novelty. They're great workers wherever they go. And I'm sure that there's always the odd duck who wants to go out and be his own bug.

I hope that helps?
Is Clovis Taro still a factor in the story? I know he appeared very briefly but I did find him somewhat intriguing. Considering he was also developing nanites for the base. He made his appearance around the first time Sagitar made theirs if I remember correctly.
"What would you do for a better world?"
(09-21-2016, 03:59 AM)Jordan Anthony Vex Wrote: Is Clovis Taro still a factor in the story? I know he appeared very briefly but I did find him somewhat intriguing. Considering he was also developing nanites for the base. He made his appearance around the first time Sagitar made theirs if I remember correctly.

Clovis was a character I invented who was planned to be a kind of opposite to Artemis intended to make Silver seethingly jealous (white cat, black wolf) and was designed to be a smug little thorn in Fox's side. His training is in both military offensive related things (weapons, primarily nonlethal) and agriculture as his family has owned very successful spice farms for generations. If you put pepper or paprika or ginger or any kind of spice or condiment on your meal it probably comes from Clovis' farms. He is VERY wealthy and unlike a lot of people working for Fox, he's there because he wants to be and not because he actually needs Fox's money. So if she ever comes up with an excuse to fire him he can just shrug, take all his lovely patents that he lets Fox use, and go home. Fox finds him frustrating because he is unshakable, smug, and she NEEDS him to a certain extent.

Originally he was going to turn traitor and join up with Titan, but Sagitar fit that role a great deal better. I prefer subtle most of the time and Taro betraying everyone just wasn't him. He's too much of a self made man to ever try to get to Fox by going through someone else. So instead he's the rich man that lets fox use his patents and smiles too much. We haven't found a use for him again in the recent plots but now that I know people miss him I'll try and work him in sometime in the future.

Trivia:

Whenever Fox drew him I told her to never draw him not smiling. The exceptions are when he's truly upset or feeling some deep emotion. But he ALWAYS has that smug smile on unless his guard is truly down.

He is one of the few islanders that can afford to pay the chimenticores off and owns a car, a jeep specifically. He uses it to quickly transport people in emergencies mostly. And to annoy Fox she can't play the pollution card because the car is an electrical tesla model and does not generate carbon waste. This annoys her.
(09-21-2016, 05:19 PM)Artemis Wrote:
(09-21-2016, 03:59 AM)Jordan Anthony Vex Wrote: Is Clovis Taro still a factor in the story? I know he appeared very briefly but I did find him somewhat intriguing. Considering he was also developing nanites for the base. He made his appearance around the first time Sagitar made theirs if I remember correctly.

Clovis was a character I invented who was planned to be a kind of opposite to Artemis intended to make Silver seethingly jealous (white cat, black wolf) and was designed to be a smug little thorn in Fox's side.  His training is in both military offensive related things (weapons, primarily nonlethal) and agriculture as his family has owned very successful spice farms for generations.  If you put pepper or paprika or ginger or any kind of spice or condiment on your meal it probably comes from Clovis' farms.  He is VERY wealthy and unlike a lot of people working for Fox, he's there because he wants to be and not because he actually needs Fox's money.  So if she ever comes up with an excuse to fire him he can just shrug, take all his lovely patents that he lets Fox use, and go home.  Fox finds him frustrating because he is unshakable, smug, and she NEEDS him to a certain extent.

Originally he was going to turn traitor and join up with Titan, but Sagitar fit that role a great deal better.  I prefer subtle most of the time and Taro betraying everyone just wasn't him.  He's too much of a self made man to ever try to get to Fox by going through someone else.  So instead he's the rich man that lets fox use his patents and smiles too much.  We haven't found a use for him again in the recent plots but now that I know people miss him I'll try and work him in sometime in the future.

Trivia:

Whenever Fox drew him I told her to never draw him not smiling.  The exceptions are when he's truly upset or feeling some deep emotion.  But he ALWAYS has that smug smile on unless his guard is truly down.

He is one of the few islanders that can afford to pay the chimenticores off and owns a car, a jeep specifically.  He uses it to quickly transport people in emergencies mostly.  And to annoy Fox she can't play the pollution card because the car is an electrical tesla model and does not generate carbon waste.  This annoys her.

Ooooo, very interesting. That's one of the things that caught me about him. He seemed so laid back and relaxed. Nothing would surprise him from what I could tell. Though to be honest I guess it makes sense now why people didn't really trust him at first, especially if the original intent was for him to go traitor. Minion noses must be wired to smell treachery.

I also kind of feel like Amos would like the guy, if only both are self made (Amos to an extent, he has not even close to the amount of wealth Clovis does i'm sure).

So in that case the Jeep that was used to transport Artemis back to Clovis' estate (I presume?) when Sagitar dired a dire out of Artemis was his correct? Considering he was one of the more important individuals involved in that affair.
"What would you do for a better world?"
(09-19-2016, 03:11 AM)Artemis Wrote: Yay!  I get to talk about the buggies!

They're more tribal, although it varies from species to species.  Some, like ants or bees, are matriarchal with a queen.  Some are just clans with large families.  Although the 'hives' are not as big as their wild counterparts with tens of thousands of millions of members.

Many of the large matriarchal hives are the ones that control the larger factories.  It isn't that the insects are stupid, but they are very meticulous and focused.  In fact there are many insects who left the island to become doctors and engineers.  They sometimes lack creativity and individuality though which is why those aspects are often handled by outside consultants.  Many of them are raised to work at the various factories but do have a little bit of control over where and how they work.  Most of them are happy to work the repetitive grunt tasks though.  They aren't mindless drones though, but many of them do have fierce family loyalty.

There's plenty who go elsewhere enough for work.  Insects are slightly rare but not a crazy weird novelty.  They're great workers wherever they go.  And I'm sure that there's always the odd duck who wants to go out and be his own bug.

I hope that helps?

Yes! Thank you. Looking at bumblebees since I do like round and fluffy, even in insects. 

Also curious about anatomy. Do they have two pairs of arms, or only one? I'd imagine they have a combination of endoskeleton and exoskeleton, since I'm not sure an exoskeleton alone would support the increase in mass (but it might, because of the magic involved in their creation). Would they have the abdomen as a sort of "tail" or would that be omitted? I know in many insects, the abdomen contains many of the internal organs, but in a bipedal version, they might be where they'd be in a human instead, or a combination. 

I realize a good bit of the above is speculation, was just thinking about it last night, so...
So out of curiosity more than anything, what sort of legal system is there amongst the islands? Is it somewhat like English Common Law/US adversarial-case and statute law? How is a law made a law? Are there law enforcement Minions and if so, only on Aukate? Judges? Lawyers? Body politic differing amongst the islands? I know it has been mentioned that the islands are a sort of 'loose confederacy' or there wouldn't be a smilodon 'ambassador', for example. But is there some sort of quorum? Do the Overlords (Queens, etc) make their own laws and each new one adds some? What about differences betrween military and civic law - or is there no equivalent to a Posse Comitatus Act? Is there a seperation between jurisdictions? Between criminal and civil law?
This is directly related to the current Base Ops' Bootcamp thread: what kind of amenities are available on Kuakua? What kind of technology?

To be a bit more precise, relating to the task at hand for Base Ops people: broom or vacuum cleaner? Washing-machine or hand washing? And so forth.

Also, there's some questions posted above mine that haven't received a reply yet and are quite interesting: Schemmer's question about the insects' anatomy, and Aralyn's question about the islands' legal system. I'd be quite interested in reading the answers for those questions as well.

Thank you.